Gers 1-14   2-7 Good Counsel


The Gers prevailed over Good Counsel in a second round championship match last night in a sun baked Cornelscourt. Good Counsel got an early point but the Gers were efficiently clocking up the overs after this with a sweetly struck Craig Scollard point being the pick of the bunch as he tore onto a forward pass clipping it over tidily from the right wing. After Aaron McDonnell scored his third point of the half Good Counsel brought matters back level when their big George at no. 14 slid home a fumbled high ball to level matters at 0-6 to 1-3 each. A super line ball from out left brought the visiting team into the lead but the Gers rallied before half time scoring 1-3 without reply. Aaron McDonnell started the sequence with another point in a sharpshooting first half display with Padraig Flynn concluding the half with a deftly finished ciotóg goal after being set up by a Keith Stephens run along the endline.

The home side leading 1-9 to 1-4 before the restart emphasis was stressed by both sides on an early good start to the second period. With the Gers scoring 4 of the first 6 points of the half, 2 Gary Bridges points being hugely important, the situation for Counsel was getting perilous and they responded by bombarding the home team goal with high balls and breaks from midfield at pace but the Gers defence stood firm. Jim McGrath caught an amount of high balls and also balls broke by Eóin MacMaoilir from the full back line, with Gers players covering every foray into their half frustration started to tell on the visitors as they felt the wrath of the referee’s ire on more than one occasion as the disciplined home defence held firm. Dick Young and Evan O’Brien kept the Counsel midfield honest all throughout yet a second goal after 16 second half minutes could of caused a collapse but this team is made of sterner stuff ! With the Good Counsel attack settling for points any further goals would be worth more than the 3 points but Neil Carlin, John Hynes and Jim McGrath were adamant that they would not be beaten again and this spirit carried the day as the Gers saw through to the quarter finals to play Wild Geese. The adventure goes on……

IMAG1528Various warm down routines at Cornelscourt


D. Hussey

J. Hynes   E. MacMaoilir   N. Carlin

C. Scollard (0-1)  Jim McGrath   K. Guerin

D. Young   E. O’Brien

L. McCabe   P. Flynn (1-0)  K. Stephens(0-2)

G. Bridges (0-2)  J. Doyle (0-5,0-2f)  A. McDonnell (0-4)


50 mins D. McEnery for G. Bridges

55 mins Aido Green for A. McDonnell