Full-time Gers 2-12 Ballyboden St. Enda’s 2-12

AET           Gers 2-15 Ballyboden St. Enda’s 4-15


In Cornelscourt

The Gers exited the junior championship on Sunday after 80+ minutes of an intriguing contest that swung back and forth towards the end of normal time when late goals and points scored by each side all seemed to be the crucial score, when the music finished we were as we started and extra-time was deemed necessary.

It all started when early ‘boden dominance gave them the platform to build up a 0-1 to 1-3 lead after 9 minutes, a Keith Stephens goal on 17 minutes brought their march to a halt which was added to by another Donal McEnery free and a Stephens point from play that brought us ahead for the first time. ‘boden finished the first half stronger scoring to lead at the break by 1-4 to 1-6.

The closeness of the tie was shown by no more than 3 points separating the sides in the second half at any stage, a super individual point from David Lavelle was the pick of the bunch. A Daniel Hussey point on 52 minutes levelled the scores for the first time in the half which was then followed by an Aido Greene special to bring us into the lead as the finish line came into sight; then came a hammer blow of a ‘boden goal on 60 minutes which left 2 points between the sides. The referee indicated that there was plenty of time left due to slow play and injuries, there was still hope. The re-introduced Aido Greene helped create an opportunity as the influencial Lochlann McCabe got a shot away that deflected to the quick witted Hussey who clinically picked up the ball and slipped past the despairing visiting ‘keeper as the Gers sideline erupted. 64 minutes gone with all wondering how long was left…..2 minutes later the referee indicated before a ‘boden kickout that 30 seconds were left, possession was vital. Unfortuntely for the Gers the opposition garnered the ball and played a quick pass into the forwards that resulted in a well taken score that tied up matters at 2-12 apiece with extra-time to come.

Ballyboden settled to get their third goal in the first minute of extra-time, 2 Padraig Flynn points from play left the minimum between the sides at the change over before a booming Dick Young point from beyond the 45 meter line squared up matters again. This is where the scoring finished for the home side as another ‘boden goal and 3 super late points sealed our fate and saw the visitors progress to the next round and the home team wondering the what ifs. Losing the tie and elimination from the championship does not take away from a very entertaining match that was keenly contested with the winning in doubt till the very end of extra-time.


Neil Costello

John Hynes     Eóin MacMaoilir     Neil Carlin

David Lavelle (0-2)     Killian McCabe     Karol Guerin

©Dick Young (0-1)     Olof Gill

Donal McEnery (0-5,3fs )     Padraig Flynn (0-2)     Gary Bridges

Aido Greene (0-1)     Keith Stephens (1-2)     Dan Hussey (1-2)


Evan O’Brien for Aido Greene

Lochlann McCabe for Gary Bridges

Aido Greene for Keith Stephens

Jim McGrath for Lochlann McCabe

Gary Bridges for Killian McCabe

Conor Ryan


Réiteoir:   Lorcán Potts (Good Counsel)