In a low scoring encounter in Cornelscourt last Sunday the Gers came out as one point victors by 2-5 to 0-10 in a tense finish to the game. The wind and heavy pitch made conditions less than ideal ensuring this game was going to be a slog for both teams, 2 second half goals were always going to be difficult blows for the “Saints” to recover from.

The Gers playing with the strong swirling wind in the first half found it difficult to establish any pattern of play with time on the ball being at a premium, the first score was a point from Donal McEnery from out on the left wing after almost 9 minutes, this came after a few wides that were more understandable given the underfoot conditions. Whilst we were seeing a lot more of the ball after this and the Saints were only threatening sporadically, after 22 minutes the score stood at 2 point s apiece, a good “Schmeer” score and 2 pointed frees from the opposition. A sweetly struck Dick Young point from “out the country” followed by a super point from out on the sideline by McEnery left the Gers leading by 2 at the break with the challenge of the second half playing into the wind to come.

That challenge was made a bit easier 5 minutes into the second half when Lochlann McCabe tidily finished his goal low to the right of the St.Kevin’s/St. Killian’s goalkeeper. The well drilled opposition fought back with a good point from a long ball added to in the air over the bar, another point was scored when a high ball was spilled in the box and ended up going over when a goal could of ensued. What happened next will be talked about for years, reminiscent of the following Youtube clip; Donal’s goaled free allowed the Gers to lead by 2-4 0-4 with 17 minutes of normal time to go.

A “Saints” pointed free and a very good point from play out near the sideline left the score at 2-4 to 0-6 after 25 minutes, big Jim had been down concussed a few minutes before this after taking a belt to the head meaning that there was going to be a few minutes of injury time so there was still all to play for. A 29th minute point when Padraig Flynn laid on a tap-over for McEnery seemed to seal the victory but we were made to sweat it out as to their credit the opposition kept chipping away at the Gers lead. When a long 8 extra minutes was played the Gers showed their steel by maintaining their composure and seeing out the win, albeit only by a point, that maintains our 100% start to the season.


D. Hussey

J. Hynes (C)      E. MacMaoilir     N. Carlin

C. Scollard     Evan O’Brien     K. Guerin

D. Young (0-1)         I. Glynn (0-1)

L. McCabe (1-0) P. Flynn     J. Doyle

D. McEnery (1-3) M. Curtin  A. McDonnell



Jim McGrath for D. Hussey

Gary Bridges for Jim McGrath

Jim McGrath for Gary Bridges


One Response to the post: