An injury time Padraig Flynn point won a tough, tight preliminary round championship game in Cornelscourt on Sunday against a strong St. Jude’s team.

June '13 024

2 goals and a point in the first 5 minutes of the second half gave the visitors a 3 point lead with the wind advantage with them for the remainder of the match and the outlook was not so promising for the locals. But with 25 minutes remaining the Gers kept at it when lady luck seemed against them, some exceptional defending and pressure never allowed Jude’s to push on. The 2-1 after the change around left the scores at 2-3 to 2-6, with our never-say-die attitude the opposition only scored one further point for the remainder of the game.

First score of the match went to Daniel Hussey when he calmly stroked his penalty through the legs of the away ‘keeper after 4 minutes, the second goal was finished tidily by Gary Bridges 5 minutes later. With Jude’s starting to trouble the scoreboard the 3 first half points were crucial. A sweetly struck Evan O’Brien free from distance and a John Doyle point from play were added to by a Lochlann McCabe finished point that started from captain Hynes’ line ball to ex captain Doyle who quickly fed McCabe to clip over the bar.

The second half played out to a tense finish. With ex Dub and Mayo midfielder Enda Sheehy not gaining as much possession in the centre of the pitch due to Schmeer and big Jack McGrath’s interventions and thus the challenge was carried to the opposition. With Eóin MacMaoilir and Karol Guerin leading the fight from the back, more opportunities were being created up front. The 3 full-forwards scored a point each leaving the Gers a point behind. Schmeer with blood gushing from his busted gob was encouraged to have a go from a Keith Stephens pass and he delivered in style with a hugh point from distance. With the necessity for Schmeer to be blood subbed back came on Padraig Flynn to add the definitive moment of the afternoon.


D. Hussey(1-0)

J. Hynes (C)       E. MacMaoilir       N. Carlin

C. Scollard        E. O’Brien(0-1)         K. Guerin

I. Glynn(0-1)         D. Young

L. McCabe(0-1) P. Flynn(0-1) J. Doyle(0-1)

G. Bridges(1-1) Jim McGrath(0-1) A. McDonnell(0-1)


35 mins Jack McGrath for P. Flynn

45 mins Keith Stephens for J. Doyle

69 mins Padraig Flynn for I. Glynn

Full-time Gers 2-8 (2-3) St. Jude’s 2-7(0-5)


One Response to the post:

  • Paul O'C
    at 08:30

    Well done to Donal and the lads great game to watch, tough game but beat a good side !!