U11 team line out on Saturday for the Game against Liffey Gaels


Chomping at the bit!

The 10.45 kick off on Saturday last couldn’t come quick enough for the U11’s who were chomping at the bit for their first competitive game of the season. This was their first game in a 12 a side formation and with illness and injury there were no subs on the day. Each and every one of the players stood up and was counted in this tough encounter. It was great for the lads to see parents and club officials there in numbers to support the boys in black and amber.

First Half Blues

A difficult first half, playing uphill, showed on the scoreboard with Liffey Gaels punishing some tactical errors and taking scores freely. Our goalkeepers did a great job on the day with Shane McDonald coming out from goals and making an impact move to mid field in the second half. Donal Harcourt and Peter Falvey did their stint in goal but also made some fantastic moves during the game cutting through midfield and creating opportunities through clever passing.

Second half rally

The brave boys were not downhearted and following a rousing speech from the coaching team at half time the lads lifted their game and really played for one another.   Marking was tighter and there was fluid interplay with passes going to hand both from kicks and hand passes. Cian Lowry and Shane McDonald showed their markedly improved skills brushing off strong tackles and getting the ball forward. As always a strong defensive line was held by Zack Kenny Ward and Shane Power where their strength and presence were really important in such a competitive outing. Robert Walsh and Mark Maguire brought more than their fair share of work getting to the ball first and taking control bursting through tackles and taking opportunities.

This led to excellent scoring opportunities with points and goals coming form play. In the dying minutes the Gers were denied two fantastic goal opportunities with Thomas Crotty and Morgan Tyrrell hitting the post. Man of the match Daniel Kelly was denied an open goal in the dying second for which a free was no compensation. With the final whistle blown the teams shook hands knowing they had left nothing on the pitch.

Match next week away against Parnells


One Response to the post: